Tuesday 4 August 2015

Wednesday

Almost 2 months have passed since my last wrote so vehemently staking my claim on the future.

In that time, I didn't stand up to the courage of my convictions, I allowed myself to once again be besotted by work and I haven't made a dent in the comedy application I've been at pains to perfect.

And that makes today a very important day.

For the last 5 years I have worked closely with the New Zealand Ice Hockey League, building it up and making the impossible a reality. I have given it my all and placed the importance of its success far above anything else in my life. I have succeeded.

Had I put the same time and effort into comedy, your cousin you hardly talk to might know my name by now. I might be appearing on a bad panel show and rolling my eyes at every lame white bread joke. I might be drawing crowds in the 10's playing some backwater dive and making disparaging remarks about the genetic make up of the people from the next town over.

I could have all that and more.

Today is the day I bid adieu and blow kisses to the NZIHL as my ship drifts slowly away from the dock. It's been fun and there are some achievements of which I am extremely proud, but the elves are leaving and they said they'd lend me change for the bus at the other end.

I normally don't like fanfare, I shy away from celebrating success, even birthdays, but this time is different. I want to celebrate the success of all my friends in helping to build this impossible ice hockey castle up in the air. Because it was impossible and it could not have been done without the hugs, laughter and skill of some dedicated inspirational people.

My last game will be the Skate Of Origin in Queenstown on August 29, an event I retrieved from the ashes and applied resuscitation to for three years. The fact that it is still using its inhaler is a sign it hasn't completely recovered, but with it now a part of the NZ Winter Games, I feel it has a chance to go on without me.

Today is the day I stop using the phrase "a means to an end" because every means is a distraction. If you have a crazy dream, you must silence the doubters and chase it for all you are worth. You must lie on your death bed and speak knowing you gave it everything you had, understand that success and happiness are not one and the same and that your journey was well spent.

Here goes.




No comments:

Post a Comment