Monday 25 March 2013

Action

I'm on a roll today. I slept 18 hours straight yesterday, only to wake up bitching and moaning that my bladder had gotten me up and it must be 6am and how dare my luck curse me so, only to stumble back from the bathroom to see 3pm on the wall.

"Oh" I thought. "Better get up."

The rest of my day played out like days do, taking washing to the laundromat, eating dinner with a friend. Then I had a swing at more sleep and was deeply unsuccessful. Not because I wasn't tired, but because New Zealand were winning a cricket match against England.

This is a rare treat and staying up all night glued to a skippy webstream was absolutely worth it.

When I finally did turn it off I couldn't escape the hilarious thoughts I was having about my comedy show in the NZ International Comedy Festival. With only a couple of months to go ideas for the shows are running hot and I couldn't sleep for all the giggling. That's right, imagine me, in the dark, giggling alone.

Morning rolled round and I gave up trying to sleep at the first signs of daylight. I decided I would order in a good breakfast, have a proper wash and face the day as prepared as I could be.

This turned into a fail-a-saurus rex after room service did not show up, I waited too long for them, had a quick splash in the shower and failed to shave.

Despite this I turned up to work like a bat out of hell and proceeded to chase down every errant mistake blamed on my department and publicly cut the finger pointers to the quick. Today is not a day for making new friends, but it is a day for being a hero to my closer colleagues.

The upshot has been a productive morning and the insertion of standardised fear into the eyes of those who have to deal with me. But don't think doom and gloom, one person came into my suite before and with a smile ear to ear said "I saw you in action out there". Damn right you did! In action! I am an action man!

I see no reason to shave off the iffy speckled beard I call 'the Norwegian' because today I am a man.


No comments:

Post a Comment