Thursday 14 March 2013

Viva la Résistance

Sweaty. That about sums up the last two days of my life.

When I was in Finland I found myself naked in a sauna with other people after just three days, it was an intense experience at around 60-70C. Still far short of how hot most Fins like it, but I sweat like a piggy nonetheless. If pigs sweat. Which they don't.

Anyway, I learned in the sauna you must keep up your fluids because you lose about a litre of your own in no time! I was genuinely surprised by how quickly I became groggy and useless.

However that experience does not compare to my last two days in bed.

My body is currently battling a bug the likes of which we have not seen since swine flu. I say "we" because when I'm this unwell I feel like things are out of my control and like to pretend my body is full of little guys battling the bad guys. Thus we are a team! ..and my grip on reality is surely tenuous.

Sleep has been at a premium, but whenever I have woken it has been to a new lake to name.

Never in my whole life do I remember sweating like this. I've never really been a sweaty person at all. I mean we all have our moments, but I'm not a big sweater.

What did you just picture? Mine had a reindeer on it.

I've always preferred cooler weather to the hot stuff finding it much easier to rug up than cool down. On many a hot night, devoid of sweat, I've resorted to flannels, showers and standing naked in the evening shadows. Which doesn't seem wise when phrased like that, but I've woken up on the grass in my undies enough times to know that it works.

For the last two days it's been like all the little guys inside me put their plumbing hats on and hooked me up the mains. If this endless run off could be collected I would surely solve New Zealand's current drought situation single handedly.

By the way does anyone else get creeped out by Ben Stiller? It's not his face, it's his crazy monkey body.

I bet Ben Stiller sweats like this every night and has some sort of special tarpaulin liner under his sheets. He may even hire someone to sponge him down in the night and fire them ruthlessly should he ever wake up.

I don't have such luxuries, I just gross myself out and thank my lucky stars I didn't drown.

But you know what, the experience has been extremely heart warming. When I felt all alone in a foreign land, isolated and incapable of caring for myself - people came to my aid. I never asked, they just showed up with food, soup, fluid and a genuine concern for my welfare. I am so deeply thankful.

I'm still deciding if I've turned the corner, or am just getting used to my condition, but I have learned ebola jokes are not well received here.

No comments:

Post a Comment