Tuesday 9 April 2013

Lions

It's been several days since I last stood in the middle eastern sunshine, though exactly how long I could not deduce without the help of a calender, I only found out the day of the week this morning. It is Wednesday.

My last days in the middle east were spent flitting between hotel rooms, trying to stay in my friends room for free as much as possible until I was locked out without my belongings, then forking out for alternative accommodation while trying to rescue my meagre possessions.

The air conditioning in this hotel was broken and I spent these last days struggling for sleep being baked alive. When there is no such thing as cold water and opening a window is like opening an oven, my only respite came pressed naked against the tiles on the floor.

I didn't quite accumulate all my things during this perfect period of preparation for 27 hours of travel and now need to organise them in my absence, but at the very least I am home, and considering my ongoing crisis of airports, this is no mean feat.

To travel half way round the world through various stops and not be late and not lose my passport and not lose my luggage or be in the wrong terminal or board the wrong plane or be mistaken for someone else is a sign of great success in itself, to have done it completely sleep deprived means I may be more efficient as a zombie.

My flight was pleasant enough, sandwiched between an off duty stewardess and an Australian policeman. My unreadable packet of Arabic mystery travel sickness pills worked a treat and none of the meals resembled anything as horrid as I had on Turkish Airways the month before. It was almost food.

Out of the frying pan and into the fire, I've arrived home to a mammoth to-do list and any thoughts of a break have been well and truly quashed. This week my company is filming a women's ice hockey tournament which you can watch here www.nzihl.tv, but next week I must turn my attention to the NZ International Comedy Festival and making sure my show is not a fizzer.

After that point the New Zealand ice hockey season will begin in full force and I will spend 4 days a week on the road for 10 weeks before deciding what to do next.

I'm not even sure where to live at the moment I'm out and about so much. Maybe I should get a cupboard I can visit or a trundler bed for a friend which I can sneakily utilize. I guess we'll only know the answer based on where I wake up.

No comments:

Post a Comment