Friday 1 February 2013

Post

The post works a little differently here than at home. Rather than lots of post shops and letterboxes everywhere, there is just one. One massive post building, a complex of epic proportions.

So rather than popping down to the post box, you have to visit the post complex. As I had the day off, I decided today was the day to make the trip. Quite foolishly. For Friday's are the start of the weekend here and post offices world wide know what to do on the weekend, close.

Still this abject failure had one positive spin off, a long walk along the waterfront on a balmy arabian evening.











There was any number of races and languages walking up and down the water, it's one of the few times here where I've felt like I didn't stand out. 

That lack of interest left me a bit off guard for the large imposing black man smiling widely coming towards me, who gave me a thumbs up and said "Gay?!". I nodded and smiled politely, acknowledging his greeting, but not recognising what was said. As he past me he knowingly said "Gay" in a way which suggested his assessment was never in doubt.

As the penny dropped, I decided not to turn around, just clench and walk faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment