Friday 11 January 2013

A thousand voices

Anyone who's ever met me has had to put up with my propensity for silly voices. I like to mimic little cartoon catch phrases and badly replicate foreign accents. I often drop into accents without thinking, reflecting mood or highlighting context. I'm sure it's very annoying.

I find when I'm talking to anyone, I start to pick up the nuances of their character and reflect it back at them. When's it's a foreigner, that includes their accent. Slowly but surely subtle intonation enters my voice and I have to concentrate very hard to stop it.

Working for international television news requires many translations and voice overs. I have been asked to do at least one voice over every day I have been here. If you're watching this network, you will hear my voice at some stage throughout the day.

The thing is as I portray princes and generals, world leaders and the african man on the street.. I struggle with completing a straight read in my own voice as I project some sort of version of how I think they sound.

Normally I can compose myself and give it another go, but when time is of the essence, one chance is all you get and I've already put some embarrassing interpretations to air. If you've been watching the news and thought "twat", chances are it was me.

I think like much of the world, I'm not being racially insensitive, just retarded.

1 comment:

  1. This deserves a recording of the best foolishness put on YouTube! Though I suppose pirating content isn't the best way to keep your job... pity, really.

    ReplyDelete