Friday 18 January 2013

Sha-war-ma!

Today came breaking point with the work cafeteria. It's only been 3 weeks, but already I've had a gutsfull and was tonight prepared to walk off into the darkness in search of food.

Past the armed guards I went, past the highway and into the dark unknown. I'd heard rumour that there was a good shawarma place around here somewhere.. somewhere.

The streetlights are dim and the Arabian sky devoid of stars. You can see a couple, but can count them on one hand. Finding Jesus in the desert actually looks pretty straight forward "wise men".

Finding shawarma in the desert is another story. There are no stars to guide me and google maps is completely useless when nothing is sign posted anyway. I did see a cat, but it obviously wasn't a rescue cat.

2km in the wrong direction and I thought I had blown it. Hungry and belligerent I turned back, the road ahead was long and my stomach was empty. As I reach the work compound, my heart sinks, I can see the cafeteria lights in the distance and I can't bring myself to go so low. I stagger on, wincing past work, hoping to see the cafeteria fall down.

Another kitteh crosses my path, "Hello kitteh" I think, but something is different.. the look in his eye.. he beckons me onwards. I follow blindly, left and right, he doesn't allow me to ride him, but he encourages me on. Around a corner past a line of closed shops a single red sign glows, SHAWARMA!

I enter, I order, I cry, I thank my lucky stars. As I leave I see the cat, sitting under the chair of a staff member on his break. He gives me a knowing look as he draws on his cigarette and reaches down to pat the satisfied looking moggy.

That'll do cat, that'll do.

No comments:

Post a Comment