Thursday 3 January 2013

Annnd.. Go!

Driving in Doha is something you do at your own peril. It's a big city and there is a need to get around. Public transport is non existent and a major oversight in the refabrication of this city. You therefore have to take the road or "painted black death".

The road rules are simple, there are no rules. Indicating is a sign of weakness and looking in both directions is a waste of god given time.

A gap in the traffic will be filled by whoever gets there first and side walks are just higher extra road.

Car horns were made to fill the air like a choir of angels finding the perfect harmony, but any individual use should be long and sustained to capture the raw emotion of the soul.

The concept of speed limits is laughable, especially when every car on the road is new and at the peak of its powers. Not using them to their fullest would be a crime against a crime against nature.

In five days I have not seen a single police officer, not in uniform or behind the wheel of a car. It is my assumption that all both of them are bound and gagged somewhere playing "do you think it's daylight?"

It would be unfair to call this free for all unproductive. I haven't seen any sign of accidents despite the constant near misses.. and they are constant. Despite the wheezing and adrenaline I have always ended up where I needed to be. I can only assume the sensation of being so close to death in the spooning position on a daily basis will pass as I embrace it like everyone else here.

Just don't expect me to open my eyes. It's a technique I've learned from the other drivers.


No comments:

Post a Comment