Saturday 5 January 2013

The Rip

Great success! I found my way to a mall and found all of the items I was looking for. Gold star, big tick!

The only thing I didn't bring home was sunglasses. There seems to be only one look on show here and it's not for me. I'd like something more different and quirky, but that might be a push. It's oil baron or bust here.

Taxis are still an issue. I certainly got taken for a ride today.

Aside from the obvious standard taxis, there are also limousines and people who offer you a ride just looking to make an extra buck.

There are deals to be had and rip off's at every turn. Standing out like a sore thumb as I do, I'm very obviously a target for scamming. A couple of people have already tried it on while I've been here, but today was the first time I was successfully scammed.

I'm philosophical about it. It was almost bound to happen at some stage and I figure better sooner rather than later. Taxis are no biggie and while I might be out of pocket $50, in the grander scheme of things it's only $50.

Thing is, I wasn't scammed by some street urchin, but by the hotel in which I'm staying! They made the call, they hooked it up and they saw me coming.

My advice is to agree the price before you leave and make the driver use the meter if the car has one. You'll also notice all registers, whether they be in taxis or supermarkets show cents, just don't expect them to change hands. Everything gets round up to the nearest dollar.

No comments:

Post a Comment