Tuesday 8 January 2013

Chairs

Sometimes I wonder why I continue to edit. Far be it from me to push my cash cow out to pasture, but oh how it makes me want to slam my head in a ranch slider.

My love/hate relationship with editing is mostly based around the technology. I simply do not like fighting with it. I am certain if any non-linear editing machines out there entered the WWE, they would be crowned champion. Not just because they put up a good fight and wear their opponent down with a serious of submission maneuvers, but because it feels like they hit you with a steel chair.

It's this battle with technology that wears me down. Most of the time I can handle the thick end of the personalities you deal with in television, the tantrums, the crying, the constant thirst for attention. However most editing systems leave me hoping I'll simply turn inside out to avoid having to continue a cut.

I wasn't always like this, I really used to enjoy it. I was fond of being in the middle of productions, working with so many departments and being an integral part of the creative process. I liked stitching together clips which people laughed at or learned from, which brought joy or understanding to the world.

I just think I would now be better served doing that from a different chair. One that doesn't feel like it's fitted with a coddling grinder.

I will always appreciate editing for what its taught me and allowed me to do with my life, but for me the transition to full time production management cannot come soon enough. I get far more enjoyment out of putting teams of talented people do to their thing. So while I may be a very good editor, I think I can be an excellent team leader.

If however my team turns heel, you'll know where to find me. Face down on the canvas with a steel chair marked 'NLE' draped over the back of my head. I'll lament the loss of my title, but not the end of my career.

No comments:

Post a Comment