Thursday 10 January 2013

Weezing

Tonight my friends are all off to see Weezer in New Zealand. It's the first time they've ever played there since '96, despite being a cornerstone in most Kiwi's music collections.

Weezer will be playing for two hours and will include an entire rendition of the Blue Album.

It will be an epic show and one that I had been looking forward to for more than half of my entire life. I am completely gutted I won't be there.

We got our tickets months ago.. too long ago. When I was being interviewed for a job in the middle east, the concert, still more months away, didn't even enter my head. Had it done, for even a second, I would not be here now.

Given the choice between earning proper money in a foreign land on what could arguably be one of the adventures of my life OR seeing Weezer live, Weezer would win every time. That's how much they mean to me.

I grew up on a solid diet of cool music courtesy of my parents LP's, Talking Heads, DEVO, Pink Floyd, to name a few. But at 14 when I was developing my own musical identity, along came the Blue Album.

My friends had been discovering Nirvana's 'Nevermind', my sister was a huge fan and I heard the tunes consistently through our adjoining bedroom wall. I had the Offspring's 'Smash', the Presidents S/T and the Blue Album.

I remember the first place I heard it, my friend Ryan had moved out of home at a very young age and was the first friend to go flatting. I shared many firsts with Ryan, but when he said "have you heard this?" and pulled out an entirely blue CD, my life changed.

I dubbed a tape and thrashed it back to back, over and over.

When 'Pinkerton' came out two years later to little fan fare, we sought it out and it became a defining record for me. It was raw, full of emotion, unsure of itself, angry, sad and full of derisive self loathing humour. I loved it and I still do.

Later Weezer would produce many good songs, but not another complete album like these two. All I've ever wanted is to be a part of the music, to see the band live, but for now I must settle for the music being a part of me.

To my friends at the concert right now as I write this. Have a great time, but know that I hate you.

No comments:

Post a Comment