Sunday 27 January 2013

Panpipes

I thought when I left New Zealand that I would be free of the incesent panpipes which have clogged my aural space over the past ten years or so.

The restaurant at my hotel had other plans however and I have been listening to the same panpipe classics CD at every meal, 3 times a day for the last 30 days.

The Carpenters, Beatles and Elton John all belted out over and over to piano accompanied panpipes.

I thought I'd heard all 10 tracks this CD must have by now, until this morning, while over a bowl of Frosties with almonds and banana I heard.. Metallica.

Yes even Metallica is not immune to the almighty panpipe. Yet what does this say about Metallica's place in history? Are Metallica so mainstream and acceptable that they're lumped in with 70's soft pop? I'm afraid so.

Still it brought a smile to my face looking around the room to see so many people in traditional Arab dress delightfully eating breakfast to one of the greatest metal bands of all time. Albeit on a panpipe.

I wonder if this has ever happened to Metallica themselves? And how they felt about it? I can imagine Lars Ulrich throwing down his napkin and having a copyright fit.




No comments:

Post a Comment