Thursday 3 January 2013

The Deep End

"Day two of my new job and I was thrust deep into the deep end. I wiggled around a bit and managed to get some traction, but it was still a surprise none the less to be plunged so hard and quickly into the dark reaches of the unknown."

- Nigella.

A nice surprise is that I've gone from Senior to Supervisor in the blink of an eye, which can only mean I'll be Managing Director by morning. And about time to.

While the strains of lower upper middle management are unlikely to break me, the sink or swim reality of today's introduction to the working environment did come as a bit of a shock. I chose to swim, which is the exact opposite of what I would have done in a pool.

Picture me if you will standing proud on a mountain clad in a shining suit of armour, my chest thrust out and my jaw line above the perpendicular. Today I won the battle, today I am a man.

Even if that battle was fought at desk and against the will of a computer, it's still pretty impressive.

And oh how she fought, this way and that way, thrashing and weaving. I stayed true, fending off error message after sluggish response, wrestling every inch of power from the hebetudinous CPU. Bedraggled and exhausted we had fought each other to a stand still, each wanting to leave our mark on the other and prove our might in the face of a worthy adversary.

But I have fingers, so I won.






No comments:

Post a Comment